We’re proud to announce the first full version of our Folding@Home client for Android Mobile phones. This version is available to all Android Mobile phones with version 4.4 (Kitkat) and above. Thanks to suggestions by donors we have redesigned the user interface and added new features such as:
- contribute processing time continuously: just connect to a WiFi network and a charger.
- one can login to Google Game Services, earn collaboration achievements, compete against his / her friends in processing time.
- collaborate processing time from multiple devices under the same Google Game Services account.
- settings screen has been removed. No need to configure anything!
- details about the currently selected research type can be queried by touching the Research Type title on main screen, or by choosing “Active Research” on menu.
Scientifically, as in our previous beta run, we continue to focus on breast cancer with our mobile app. In this project, we’re investigating the nature of drug resistance mutations in key proteins (kinases) that are targets for breast cancer drugs. By studying the nature of how these mutations change these key drug targets, we will be able to both advance our basic biophysical understanding of these key proteins as well as build a tool to be used for patient specific breast cancer treatment— by sequencing the tumor and seeing what mutations are present, our tool seeks to recommend the best drug for a specific patient.
The beta has been a success with positive feedback from our community. We plan to add additional features in the comming months to further enhance the user interface and experience. The beta version has been downloaded more than 170,000 times worldwide, with more than 62,000 mobile phones contributing at the same time. We want to thank our community for your feedback and continued support.
We’ve also added a new movie to advertise and highlight the app. It’s on YouTube here: